Friday, September 10, 2010

(A) My thoughts on Chapters 1 & 2...

What is Mathematics...really?
"What students learn about mathematics almost entirely depends on the experiences that teachers provide everyday in the classroom...Teachers' actions are what encourage students to think, question, solve problems , and discuss their ideas, strategies, and solutions."

This quote from Chapter 1 of the book struck a chord with me. It might have been due to my guilty subconscious mind, or the fact that every word in the quote rings true for me when I think back to my experiences with Math and my Math teachers.

The author goes on to state that a teacher of mathematics, would nurture and encourage children to find joy and passion in solving mathematical problems. To do this, the teacher would first have to love the subject matter her/himself. This is exactly where and why i was feeling guilty. It would not have been a big surprise to anyone that Math and me... we did not really get along well. But, reading through this chapter made me think and wonder if I had somehow ever brought this lack of passion for Math to my classroom. Had I discouraged my children from loving the subject just because I did not love it? If so, my approach towards Math should and definitely would, change.

I agree that even though the mathematics education described in the book might not be the same as what we practices here, the principles and standards released by the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) is important and should be taken into account when planning mathematics education.

A teacher's role when planning for mathematics education for his/her students should also include plans to create a setting where students are doing math. This entails a shift in the tasks students are given and the way in which classrooms are organized for math lessons. Student should be given tasks that are worthwhile in an environment that encourages and supports risk-taking. It is in this kind of environment that students will learn to share and defend math ideas.

Mathematics has evolved. It is no longer the boring lesson where children are forced to solve problems by using only certain methods(which the students might not really understand themselves) taught by the teacher. These days children are encouraged to problem solve and work their way to a result by using concrete materials and ideas that speak to them. Math is part of their lives. It is taught to the children, (as the Mathematics Syllabus framework suggests), as a subject of enjoyment and excitement and as a vehicle to encourage development of their intellectual competence.

Instead of being something that children deem boring, Math can be fun, hands-on, and exciting.


The book defines mathematics as "...generating strategies for solving problems, applying those approaches, seeing if they lead to solutions, and checking to see if your answers make sense."

Seeing as this is a blog, and there might be some wanderers passing through, I'd like to pose this question to you; my fellow classmates, teachers, bloggers, people who have accidentally clicked on my link : What is Mathematics to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment