Thursday, September 30, 2010

(H) Reflection of the course

So we've come to an end of this module.. along the way we reconnected with Pythagoras... got to know Brunner and Dennes... played (while still learning of course!) games, learned tricks, cracked our brains with quizzes and puzzles.. and basically did much more "mathematical" things than I am used to doing even over a year I think! ;) haha..

I started this course dreading the 6 days that i would have to immerse my poor mathematically "un"-inclined brain into all the theories and practices. Completing the module, I can say that... well, it's not like I have developed a sudden love for the subject nor have I become so immersed in it that I would want to be figuring out problems everywhere i went. If given a choice, I think Math would still not be on my list of favourites, or even semi-favourites. Years and years of hatred cannot just be forgotten like that;)


However, I can honestly say, that I do realise now, the importance of the children seeing, feeling, and observing the teacher's love for the subject. Watching the way you spoke about Math, just from the top of your head, Dr Yeap, one can see clearly your love for Math. And even though you might have someone like me in your class, holding the biggest shield i can find against it, your enthusiasm and excitement does rub off on us.

I can also say that i understand now that Math can be fun...there's no denying that. It can be interesting, thought provoking, and carried out in a variety of ways. There are unlimited possibilities and the only thing that could and would stand in one's way would be their own mindset.

Having said this, I am excited to try some of the things i have learnt with my children. Talking about the levels that children pass through, while learning Math, will help me in planning engaging activities for them. The examples from the textbook are also interesting and definitely worth a shot.

What have I learnt from this class? Math can surprise you at times...and when it does, will you be ready, and open to it?!?!

Oh! and not forgetting, the realization that even our preschool children can use calculators to learn Math concepts!

No comments:

Post a Comment